The "Why" of carrying Uninsured Motorist coverage


This is no brain buster.. California has over thirty million people residing in it and of those who are driving on the road, only an estimated 85% of them carry liability insurance which is what would cover your medical bills, vehicle damage or property damage if they were found at fault in an accident.

Uninsured Motorist coverage is something I will automatically and purposely include in every auto insurance policy I write for my customers. To me, there is no excuse not to have it and there is in fact a form that must be signed if some one declines it.  What it will cover is just like I described above.. the scenario where some one you have an accident with is either underinsured or uninsured altogether to the point where your losses , injuries and damages are not covered. Some of the losses you might incur are as follows:

1) Loss of earnings
2) High medical insurance deductibles
3) Your vehicle damages and/or collision deductible
4) Pain and Suffering

Not only is maintaining this crucial coverage relatively inexpensive, but it is the responsible thing to do. In addition, there is one other supplemental coverage I will include as well , Uninsured Motorist Waiver of Collision Deductible. With this, just as it's title states, you need not pay your collision deductible if another party damages your vehicle as it is waived. Collision deductibles range between $100-$2000 with the majority of those I insure at an average of $750.  For the small amount of additional premium it costs to keep this coverage, it can sure save you a lot of grief.

Thank You for reading and please do not forget to follow my posts and to like my Facebook page for continuous useful tips.

Jeff Milber

Comments